Part 13 – The Sovereign Grace of God (Part 2)
Series: The Book of Romans
Lesson: Part 13 – The Sovereign Grace of God (Part 2)
Speaker: Dr. Benny M. Abante, Jr.
Text: Romans 9:15-16 (KJV)
Service: New Life Bible Class
Date: July 07, 2016
BOOK OF ROMANS CHAPTER 9
Lesson No. 26 THE SOVEREIGN GRACE OF GOD
15 For he saith to Moses, I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion.
16 So then it is not of him that willeth, nor of him that runneth, but of God that sheweth mercy. —Romans 9:15-16—
E. The Benefactor according to God’s Sovereignty (vv. 14-24):
1. God becomes our benefactor without our works or what we can offer because all of us are under sin and condemnation. And this is all because of His grace. Matthew Henry notes, “So that those who are saved must thank God only and those who perish must only their own selves to blame” (Hosea 13:9).
2. This should cause us to glorify God alone than question Him and “find fault in Him” (vv.19- 21).
F. The Benefits of His Grace and Mercy (vv.22-30).
1. His mercy reaches us who are not His people.
2. Even among His unbelieving people, there is a remnant according to His grace.
3. Because of His grace and mercy , we have not been abandoned or left alone in sin and condemnation.
What should be our attitude as God’s people? Should it not be that of thanksgiving and sacrifice while we are here on earth as we all wait for His coming? It would be the greatest height of ungratefulness when we forget that we have been called by His grace. If not for His salvation, we will all be in total darkness and we are still wallowing in the mire of sin (v.29). What should we do to our loved ones and friends who are still outside the saving grace of the Lord? Reach out! Pay the debt! And pay it forward!
-BMA’s Messages, 07.10.16