Part 11 – The Stewardship of Nehemiah
Series: Nehemiah The Builder
Lesson: Part 11- The Stewardship of Nehemiah
Speaker: Pr. Ed Joddy Alanzalon
Passage: Nehemiah 11;2 (KJV)
Service: New Life Bible Class
Date: March 17, 2016
NEHEMIAH THE BUILDER
LESSON NO. 11 THE STEWARDSHIP OF NEHEMIAH CHAPTER 11
“And the people blessed all the men, that willingly offered themselves to dwell at Jerusalem.” —Nehemiah 11:2 (KJV)
The word stewardship according to Merriam-Webster Dictionary means “the careful and responsible management of something entrusted to one’s care.” In 1 Peter 4:10, the word steward is rendered as one who dispenses his gifts and possessions (material and spiritual) to minister to others especially to those in the household of faith. In this chapter, we see Nehemiah taking the role of a responsible and careful chief steward of Israel’s spiritual, political, economic and social life.
When a believer decides to commit and give his life to the Lord and His service, he understands that God is now the One in charge and in control of his life (1 Cor. 6:19-20). He no longer lives for his own but for God and others. And this is the kind of life Nehemiah had pursued and attained to gain.
1. He gave his life and all to the Lord to build not just the walls of Jerusalem but the entire city as a whole (v.1).
2. He led a rag-tag but committed men to build the walls (vv.2-36).
3. He took with patience and firmness the mockeries, insults and even threats of those who opposed him and his leadership. He believed that God was the one who put him there and he just needed to focus on his task (4:1-6). God will take care of all his critics.
4. He generously gave his resources and led the people to do the same (10:32-37; 12:44).
5. He finished the walls and gave God all the glory (12:27).
6. He distributed the whole city to the people who built the walls and appointed leaders as the city’s stewards (11:2-36).
7. He made a census of the people and assigned them to important responsibilities (11:16-17; 7:2).
What is required of us as God’s stewards? The Lord would like us to grow and become established cheerful givers and faithful stewards of all the various gifts, talents, abilities and capacities He entrusted to our care that we may be able to minister to His people and meet the needs of our growing and expanding ministries (1 Cor. 4:1-2; 1 Peter 4:10).
1 Corinthians 4:1-2King James Version (KJV)
4 Let a man so account of us, as of the ministers of Christ, and stewards of the mysteries of God. 2 Moreover it is required in stewards, that a man be found faithful.
1 Peter 4:10King James Version (KJV)
10 As every man hath received the gift, even so minister the same one to another,